How to combat viruses
To help manage any concerns and reduce transmission of respiratory viruses, including COVID-19, in your area, Dr. Russell Osguthorpe, chief medical officer of doTerra, recommends that everyone follow these evidence-based procedures.
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not readily available, an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol, including dōTERRA’s On Guard Sanitizing Mist—which contains 64% alcohol, can be used.
- Stay home when sick, except to get medical care
- Cover your coughs and sneezes.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Clean frequently touched surfaces and objects often.
- Face masks are not recommended for people who are well. However, if you show symptoms of COVID-19 or another respiratory disease, then you should wear a mask.
What you should know about COVID-19
The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person.
- Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).
- Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby, or possibly be inhaled into the lungs.
- It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or eyes. However, this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.
Most people who contract COVID-19 are thought to be mildly symptomatic or asymptomatic (showing no symptoms). These include:
- Shortness of breath
dōTERRA CEO David Stirling indicated that the company has seen a dramatic spike in sales of their On Guard family of products. The demand for dōTERRA’s On Guard Sanitizing Mist has increased by over 400% in most markets in recent weeks. The company is quadrupling its supplies of this product in the coming weeks. He said they are working around the clock to stay in stock for all of these products. In the interim there may be some occasional short term stock outs of this and a few other high demand products. Because of their long-term strategic planning with their global network of growers they have stocked more than a year’s supply of most of our essential oils. They don’t expect any significant outages for the On Guard essential oil blend or other essential oils that are in unusually great demand.Stirling said dōTERRA is restricted on the health claims that can be made about their products. He said they recognize essential oils have profound health and wellness benefits, but they do not claim that their products prevent, treat or cure illnesses or diseases, including COVID-19.
"While there seems like a lot to worry about, there are many reasons to be optimistic," Stirling said.
- The COVID-19 virus is thought to be very similar to other respiratory viruses like influenza or RSV, and is mild in most people who get it.
- Children seem particularly protected from severe COVID-19 disease.
- There has been extraordinary cooperation in the global sharing of clinical data and research.
"Be assured that your health and well-being is imperative to us," he said.For more information about dōTERRA products, click on my.doTerra.com/mjfisher.