|Couscous and asparagus salad|
Sometimes young people are hesitant to try new things. This couscous and asparagus salad was a great success with the seven young missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who recently had dinner with me in my apartment in Pristina, Kosovo.
- 8 oz whole wheat couscous
- 1 lb thin asparagus spears, tough ends trimmed
- 3 medium tomatoes, cut to bite size
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- salt to taste
- fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add asparagus and cook until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Remove with a large slotted spoon and rinse in a colander in the sink under cold water to stop it from cooking.
- Add the couscous to the boiling water and cook according to package directions.
- Chop the asparagus into small 1/2 inch pieces.
- Drain the couscous and rinse under cold water, place in a large bowl.
- Add the chopped asparagus, tomatoes, red onion, lemon juice, olive oil, parsley, salt and pepper to the bowl.
- Taste for salt and pepper and serve room temperature or chilled.
Nutrition InformationYield: 5 servings, Serving Size: a little over 1 cup
- Amount Per Serving:
- Weight Watcher Points: 5
- Calories: 170 calories
- Total Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 10mg
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fiber: 5g
- Sugar: 0g
- Protein: 6.5g