Sunday, April 28, 2019

After Anatevka: LiveAfter Anatevka: Live by Alexandra Silber
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


3545820
John Fisher A special live performance for Fiddler on the Roof fans about what might have happened to Tevye’s family. A cast of rising Broadway stars joined actress and author Alexandra Silber in celebrating the Audible release of After Anatevka, the historical novel she wrote about Tevye’s second-eldest daughter, Hodel. Silber’s fascination with Hodel began when she played her in a production of Fiddler in London’s West End. Actors often write a backstory for the characters they play so they can fully imagine and embody them onstage. But Silber was more interested in Hodel’s fate than her history. “I had never played a character who felt so much like me,” she says. “I felt responsible for what happened to her after she boards the train to Siberia to join her revolutionary fiancĂ© Perchik.” 

While this presentation highlights some wonderful singing from the original score, the story of Hodel really didn't keep my attention and I soon lost interest. 

(Excerpts taken from Audible's description of the presentation.)

View all my reviews

No comments: