- An extended ragweed allergy season – research suggests that this will last three weeks longer than usual due to global warming
- Classroom triggers – everything from mold to dust mites to contagious viruses can up the chance in allergic reactions and asthmatic symptoms in children
- Falling leaves – as the trees begin to turn, pollen and mold can be kicked up during outside activities such as mowing the lawn or raking
- Longer warm periods – unseasonably warm temperatures can bring your summer allergy suffering well into the fall season
While the triggers my not be preventable, symptoms can be abated, if not fully avoided, by having an action plan in place. Dr. Stephen Apaliski, author of the book Beating Asthma: Seven Simple Principles, provides helpful advice to readers on how to put together a plan to avoid allergy and asthma triggers, touching on the following:
- The principles of dealing with seven areas of asthma – problem, prevention, pulmonary function tests, pharmaceuticals, plan, patient-physician, and positive mindset
- Identify fall triggers for asthma, both allergic and non-allergic
- Identify and research triggers localized to a particular area or region
- Develop a communicate relationship with an allergist to put together the best preventive plan
- Know what, how, and when to use medication in order to act quickly when problems occur
Dr. Apaliski has been a practicing physician for over 30 years. He first trained as a pediatrician at the Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh and later as an allergist at Wilford Hall United States Air Force Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas. In 1990, he served as a flight surgeon in the first Gulf War.
Dr. Apaliski is Board Certified in Pediatrics as well as Allergy and Immunology. In addition, he is a Fellow of the American College of Allergy and Immunology and a Board Member of the Allergy and Asthma Foundation of America—Texas chapter. He is also certified by the Association of Clinical Research Professionals as a Certified Physician Investigator. In addition to seeing patients in his medical practice at the Allergy & Asthma Centers of the Metroplex and conducting Clinical Trials as the Medical Director of Discovery Trials-Arlington, Dr. Apaliski is on the medical staff at THR Arlington Memorial Hospital in Arlington, Texas.
Dr. Apaliski is also a speaker for various pharmaceutical companies, helping to educate physicians and other health care providers about the diagnosis and treatment of asthma and allergic diseases.
Beating Asthma: Seven Simple Principles is available for purchase on the website listed above and on Amazon.com.
Post a Comment