Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Medications and hip replacement

Day 8after my hip replacement.

My doctor prescribed 100 oxycodone acetaminophen 10 325 to be taken 1 or 2 tablets by mouth every 4 hours as needed. When I left the hospital on day 4, 3 days after the operation, my doctor prescribed 100 tablets of oxycodone acetaminophen 10-325 to be taken 1 or 2 tablets by mouth every 4 hours as needed. 

When I left the hospital I was talking them at 2 tablets every 4 hours. I soon realized at that rate I would run out after 8 days. So I modified my pill taking to 1 every three hours.  Yesterday the physical therapist suggested a try taking one before I go to sleep. I took a pill at 12 midnight and then again at 5:30 when I woke up.  My leg hurt badly after exercising 3 times during the day. At 5:30 a.m. my leg was stinging when I took the pill.  

I started with 12 pills daily, cut back to 8 pills.  Now I'm at 6 pills.  With almost 60 pills left that is enough for 10 days.  At the rate of 1 every 4 hours I will run out on March 21.  By cutting back 1 pill per night I can last an extra day.  At 4 pills a day I can last 15 days. 

My goal is to get rid of my walker after 3 weeks. About the same time as I run out of meds.

No comments: