Zucchini Couscous Salad
This delicious salad tastes good cold as a leftover. It is made with couscous and cooked zucchini.
Feeds: 4 people
Preparation Time:10 minutes
Cooking Time:15 mins
Total Time: 25 mins
- 1/3 cup chopped red onions
- 1 big zucchini — sliced and fried in olive oil and garlic
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup whole wheat couscous
- fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes — cut in half
- 1 tsp green onion
- 3 tbsp white cheese like feta
- 1/3 cup homemade vinaigrette of olive oil, squeezed lemon, basil, salt and pepper
In a medium heatproof bowl, pour 1 1/4 cup boiling water (boiled with vegetable or chicken bullion base) over the couscous.
Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
Uncover, fluff with a fork, and set aside to let cool for 5 minutes more. Add fresh parsley leaves.
In a medium bowl, gently toss the zucchini with 1 tbs olive oil, salt, and pepper. Cook over a grill or in a frying pan. Use fresh crushed garlic and red onion in frying pan.
Turn zucchini occasionally, until it is browned and softened but not mushy, about 5 to 7 minutes.
In the same dish used to cook the couscous, add zucchini and cheese and tomatoes. (Add green onion if you like onion.) Stir well adding the vinaigrette. Homemade vinaigrette is made from olive juice, squeezed lemon, and basil. Salt and pepper to taste.
Taste and adjust the seasoning if you think it is necessary. Serve immediately or cold as a leftover.