Monday, March 16, 2015

Day 13 - Hip Replacement

I changed the outer dressing on my wound. It appears to be healing. However, the pain continues. Not at the point of the surgery but inside my leg.  I guess that is a good sign. If there is pain it must be healing - right?

I had my operation in Provo, Utah and, after being released from the hospital, I traveled to Boise to stay with family while I recuperate. I had a 100 pills. Now I have 32 - enough for 8 days if I take 4 a day.  That is one every six hours.  The instructions said I should take 2 every four hours.

By the time it was 5 hours after taking the last pill, I was in real pain.  I had a hard time sitting on the bed. At 8 p.m. when I took a pill, I was watching news. I started to get drowsy and nodded off for most of the next hour. Hopefully, I will be able to get to sleep and I can sleep through the next period when the pain medication is wearing off.

(I keep forgetting how to crawl into bed. Knee first can be really painful.)

Because I am six hours away from my place of surgery, I won't be going back until the six week appointment with my doctor. I have been trying to find a doctor here who will give me post operation care. I was finally able to get my chilren's doctor to refer me to the surgeons in his group.  I spent most of the day today trying to get my Provo doctor's office to fax my records to the doctor's group in Boise.  When they see my records, they will assign a doctor, I was told.

Talking to people in doctor's offices is difficult. When you dial in your become part of a que and have to wait in line to talk to someone. Then they transfer you and you go through a series of prompts - press 1 if you are an insurance provider, press 2 if you are a doctor or hospital, press 3 if you want to talk to scheduling, press 4 if you are from a law office, etc. Hangup and call your pharmacy if you need a refill.   I pushed three and was asked to leave a message with my phone number. A half hour later when I called back, I pushed 2 hoping if I was a doctor or hospital that I would get a person to talk to. I got a recording telling me to fax my request for information. I had  a hard time understanding the directions and leaving my message. In fact, I finally left a message three times before I got a call back.  The medical staff are very nice on the phone, if only it was easy to talk to them.

I found out in the conversations that the medication I am taking can't be ordered over the phone or by fax, but that I have to have a perscription on paper. To get the perscription I would have to go back to Utah. It is unlikely the Idaho doctors will provide me the strong medication, I was told. The Utah doctor's office, when I run out, will be able to phone a perscription of a weaker medication, Tramadol, which isslightly stronger than anything I can get over the counter.  I can't take NSAIDS because in dealing with the pain from my arthritis, I got an ulcer. So now I'm allergic to NSAIDS.

Tomorrow I will have to phone the Boise office to see if they got my faxed records. 

No comments: